College Profile: Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville State University is a public university serving Northeast Alabama on a 459-acre (1.9 km2) campus with 58 buildings in Jacksonville, Alabama which is in the Appalachian foothills of northeast Alabama. Founded in 1883, as Jacksonville State Normal School, in 1930 the name changed to Jacksonville State Teachers College, and again in 1957 to Jacksonville State College. The present name Jacksonville State University didn't come about until about 1967. In 2008, the university celebrated its 125th anniversary. Today, the university offers programs of study leading to Bachelor's, Master's, and Education Specialist degrees in business, communication, education, family sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and nursing, in addition to continuing education programs. Jacksonville State offers many online courses with online programs in emergency management, MBA, education, and others. JSU currently has an enrollment of more than 9,000 students, with 400 faculty members (300 of whom are full-time). The current University President is Dr. William A. Meehan. With a focus on providing a quality education, Jacksonville State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition, 38 academic programs (79% of programs that can be accredited) earned specialized programmatic accreditations. These programs include business, education, engineering and technology, nursing, social work, drama, art, music, computer science, family and consumer science, and communication. 229 international students were enrolled in the 2005-06 academic year. The University has run its International House program, an international exchange program, for over 60 years. JSU is also nationally recognized for its marching band, the Marching Southerners, which performs before thousands each year at marching exhibitions, football games, and parades.
256-782-5006 (financial aid)
||Public, 4-year or above|
||5,000 - 9,999|
|Title IV Eligibility
||Participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs|
College Student Services Offered
||Academic/career counseling service|
||Employment services for students||Yes
||Placement services for completers|
||On-campus day care for students' children||
College Special Learning Opportunities
||Distance learning opportunities|
||ROTC: Air Force||
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Jacksonville State University Website
Admissions Considerations & Recommendations
|Open admission policy
|Admission test scores
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language
Applicants (most recent fall period)
Admissions (most recent fall period)
Percentage of Students Submitting Test Scores
SAT Percentile Scores
ACT Percentile Scores
Percentage Receiving Financial Aid
Average Amount of Financial Aid Received
Average Tuition for Full-Time Undergraduates
Average Tuition for Full-Time Graduates
Comprehensive Fee for Full-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Graduates
||Student Body Size||Yes
||Total Dormitory Capacity|
College Levels Offered
||Less than one year certificate||No
||One but less than two years certificate|
||Two but less than 4 years certificate|
All Academic Programs
- Psychology, General.
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General.
- Criminal Justice/Safety Studies.
- Public Administration.
- Special Education and Teaching, General.
- Nursing, Other.
- Educational/Instructional Media Design.
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services.
- Social Work.
- Nursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN).
- Finance, General.
- Education, General.
- Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General.
- Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneurial Studies.
- Economics, General.
- Educational Leadership and Administration, General.
- Early Childhood Education and Teaching.
- Manufacturing Technology/Technician.
- Health Teacher Education.
- Secondary Education and Teaching.
- Art/Art Studies, General.
- English Language and Literature, General.
- Reading Teacher Education.
- History, General.
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies.
- Chemistry, General.
- Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences, General.
- Political Science and Government, General.
- Music, General.
- Engineering Technologies/Technicians, Other.
- Occupational Safety and Health Technology/Technician.
- Business Administration and Management, General.
- Radio and Television.
- Elementary Education and Teaching.
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching.
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences/Liberal Studies.
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other.
- Foreign Languages and Literatures, General.
- Mathematics, General.
- Computer and Information Sciences, General.
Question and Answer about "Jacksonville State University"
No questions found...